[Please note that this page contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase after clicking a link, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.]
The Best Therapies for Anxiety:
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Anxiety
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) relieves people of their negative behaviours and thinking associated with anxiety.
- It helps people recognize their behaviours and ways of thinking that lead to their anxiousness.
- CBT limits anxious thinking by understanding the anxiety more realistically.
Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
- Jon Kabat-Zinn invented Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy.
- Its foundation is based on the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Model.
- It uses mindfulness with the combination of cognitive therapy.
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Exercises
- Psychodynamic therapy resolves the persons’ inner psychological issues that are almost always rooted in childhood.
- Psychodynamic therapies over the long term are helpful for a lifelong pattern and history of imperfect ways of managing behaviours and thoughts.
- They can lead to self-injurious behaviour if not adequately dealt with.
- EMDR treatment is an 8-stage method that contains recollecting disturbing memories while engaging in side-eye movement and other sensory input.
- EMDR treatment was initially used with about an 80% success rate for people who are dealing with trauma and or who suffer from anxiety disorder or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Somatic Transformation Therapy and Somatic Therapies
- Bodily transformation therapy is based on the thoughts and emotions that physically impact the body and vice versa.
- Somatic therapies for trauma focus on body-centred exercises where you concentrate on the mind and body relationship.
Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy (IPSRT)
- Social Rhythm Therapy was invented as a type of psychotherapy for a doctor and a patient. However, the program has advanced into many settings, including outpatient and inpatient groups.
- IPSRT is set up to help patients increase their moods by working with their social and biological rhythms.
- Social Rhythm Therapy helps people learn skills to prevent the development of future and current episodes.
- Psychedelic Assisted Psychotherapy will be the best over a three-month time in rehab or hospital.
- At first, the person doing the psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy will receive two psychotherapy sessions that set them up for the third session.
- In the third session of Psychedelic Assisted Psychotherapy, the therapist introduces the psychedelic like LSD, MDMA, or psilocybin (magic) mushrooms to the therapy session.
- The therapist then guides and watches the patient make sure they don’t have a ‘bad trip.’
- 1 to 3 psychedelic psychotherapy sessions (depending on the person) will occur over the three months.
- There are two regular psychotherapy sessions after having a psychedelic psychotherapy session experience.
- Psychedelic Assisted Psychotherapy works great as therapies for depression and anxiety.
Helpful Techniques for Anxiety Relief
- Relaxation techniques that work the best are meditation and yoga.
- Meditating for only 10 minutes a day can create neurogenesis – the growth of new brain cells. It also decreases the fear response in the part of your brain called the amygdala.
- Exercise is nature’s stress reliever. It is the best anti-anxiety and anti-depression medicine provided by nature, and it’s dependent on how much work you are willing to put in.
- Current data shows that you only need 30 minutes of exercise 3 to 5 times weekly can have excellent anxiety relief benefits. Try aerobic exercise for an hour to reach the maximum benefit on most days.
- Hypnosis will often be used with the combination of CBT for anxiety.
- The therapist will bring the patient into deep relaxation as they use various therapeutic techniques to help you deal with your traumas.
- It allows the patient to become desensitized to the memories and look at them differently.