The Best Technology Addiction Treatment
[Please note that this page contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase after clicking a link, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.]
Most addiction rehabilitation focuses on stopping whatever the patient is trying to quit.
However, scientists agree that halting the internet is not adequate rehab.
Instead, the rehab focus should be on time management and a healthy balancing using the internet and other tech.
The Best Technology Addiction Treatment and Rehabilitation
Some of the best ways to go about technology addiction rehabilitation are:
- Setting up time limiting goals daily
- Stopping heavily used useless apps
- Using apps to determine your time on the internet and other technology like phones and tablets
- Writing out the benefits of stopping, pros and cons lists
- Writing or typing out and following a strict schedule
- Finding and joining an in-person rehab or online group therapy rehab
- Doing family therapy and other forms of psychotherapy and rehabilitation
Technology addiction rehabilitation can be a combination of treatments and rehab.
Getting help from a mental health care professional can help find the right technology for addiction rehabilitation.
Psychotherapies are a beneficial form of rehab for treating alcohol, drug, and eating disorders.
However, minimal studies have shown that psychotherapy is an effective form of rehab for technology addiction.
Best Technology Addiction Rehab:
The following are psychotherapies for the best technology addiction rehab:
- Getting evaluated by a mental health expert can be and is very beneficial.
- Some people may have obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and or depression. A doctor may prescribe medication in serve cases for quicker rehabilitation.
- A doctor might prescribe the patient, selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) to speed up the rehab process if the patient has anxiety and or depression associated with overcoming technology addiction.
- Counsellors do great with helping with stress associated with the rehab and developing better habits.
Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT):
Cognitive Behavior Therapy definition: according to the dictionary, cognitive behaviour therapy is “Cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) is a practical, short-term form rehabilitation of psychotherapy. It helps people develop skills and strategies for becoming and staying healthy.”
- CBT is goal-oriented rehab therapy to help uncover and disrupt unhealthy patterns and find ways to create healthier behaviours and thoughts.
- People see a psychologist/psychiatrist for practicing cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) to improve people’s lives.
- Researchers have found that a combination of electroacupuncture and cognitive behaviour therapy can significantly decrease self-reported scores on overcoming technology addiction.
- CBT also works excellent for depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), General Anxiety Disorder (GAD), and Social Anxiety.
Reality therapy (RT):
- Reality Therapy (RT) helps the patients rehab their life through behavioural changes.
- The therapist and the patient will learn time management skills and find healthier activities away from the technology.
Motivational interviewing (MI):
- MI is a therapy used to help patients gain new behavioural skills to disrupt and quit addictive behaviours for a more efficient rehabilitation process.
- There have been no studies on technology addiction treatment using Motivational interviewing (MI), although it still may have therapeutic benefits to rehab the patient.
- Motivational interviewing is an effective rehab for overeating, drugs, and alcohol addictions.
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs):
SSRIs medications that may help with technology addiction rehabilitation:
SSRIs side effects include:
- dry mouth.
- loss of appetite and weight loss
- shaky or anxious
- feeling or being sick
- diarrhea or constipation
- blurred vision
Here are some of the best available supplements for addiction.
Besides physically going to rehab for technology, for now, if one treats it like drugs and alcohol and limits their intake with proper therapy and time management, you can have the tech work for you and not let it run and ruin your life. \