Most addiction treatments focus on stopping whatever it is the patient is trying to quit. However, scientists agree that halting the internet is not adequate. Instead, the focus should be on time management and healthy balancing using the internet and other technology.
Some of the best ways to go about technology addiction treatment for tech addiction is:
- Setting up time limiting goals daily
- Stopping heavily used useless apps
- Using apps to limit your time on the internet and technology
- Writing out the benefits of stopping
- Writing or typing out and following a strict schedule
- Finding and joining an in-person or online group therapy
- Doing family therapy and other forms of psychotherapy
Technology addiction treatment can be a combination of therapies. Getting help from a mental health care professional can provide further help finding the right technology addiction treatment.
Psychotherapies are very beneficial for treating alcohol, drug, and eating disorders. However, there are minimal studies done to show that psychotherapy helps technology addiction treatment.
The following are psychotherapies focusing on how to overcome technology addiction:
- Getting evaluated by a mental health expert can be very beneficial. Some people may have obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and or depression. A doctor may prescribe medication in serve cases.
- A doctor might prescribe the patient, selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) if the patient has symptoms like anxiety and or depression associated with overcoming a technology addiction.
- Counsellors do great with helping with stress associated with the recovery and developing better habits.
Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT):
Cognitive Behavior Therapy definition: according to the dictionary, cognitive behavior therapy is “Cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) is a practical, short-term form of psychotherapy. It helps people to develop skills and strategies for becoming and staying healthy.”
- CBT is goal-oriented therapy to help uncover and disrupt unhealthy patterns and find ways to create healthier behaviours and thoughts.
- People see a psychologist/psychiatry for practicing cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) to improve people’s lives.
- Researchers have found that a combination of electroacupuncture can significantly decrease self-reported scores on overcoming their technology addiction.
Reality therapy (RT):
- Reality Therapy (RT) helps the patient improve their life through behavioural changes.
- The therapist and the patient will work together to learn time management skills and to find healthier activities.
Motivational interviewing (MI):
- MI is a therapy used to help the patient gain new behavioural skills to disrupt and quit the addictive behaviours.
- There have been no studies on technology addiction treatment using Motivational interviewing (MI), although it still may have therapeutic benefits.
- It works well for helping people getting over addictions with eating, drugs and alcohol.
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs):
SSRIs medication that may help with technology addiction treatment:
SSRIs side effects include:
- dry mouth.
- loss of appetite and weight loss
- shaky or anxious
- feeling or being sick
- diarrhea or constipation
- blurred vision